Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Girl in the Steel Corset

I read this book with mixed emotions. On one hand, I really liked some of the secondary characters, but I hate to say the two main characters and some of the setting really rubbed me the wrong way. I'm going to start with the bad stuff, then move into the good.

There was just something about Finley that annoyed me. First off - and this wasn't even the author's fault - I kept picturing her as having brown hair because of the cover, when, in fact, she has blonde hair. That aside, I felt that the members of Griffin's household - save Sam - treated her too nicely. Griffin himself was really overprotective, and he hadn't even truly gotten to know her yet. All he knew of her was the she was a suspected murder, and he didn't even bat an eye, he was so sure of her innocence.

I also wish we could have seen a bit more of Finley's dark side. To me, that was the more interesting part of her, and it would have fleshed out her character more.

Plotwise, there was too much going on. There was the Machinist and his automatons, the Aether - a sort of spirit-plane - and the Organites. It all sort of fit together at the end, but there was too much made up stuff going on that really detracted from the original plot.

Finally, there's the matter of the romantic plot. The two main female characters, Finley and Emily, each had their own little love triangle-type thing going on. I'm not a big fan of love triangles, especially when it's obvious who the girl's going to end up with. But two? Let's just say I was seriously irked.

However, there were parts of this book I liked. Sam was the only character of Griffin's gang who stood up against Finley, and I really admired him for it. It made me like the book a bit more, especially because I agreed with him. Emily, the girl he liked, I also thought was one of the best of the bunch. She was someone who felt tied down by restrictions in society, and that made her really relatable.

Overall, I give this book an 8/10. It was decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment