Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
(from Goodreads)

This book was nothing like I expected. It was one of those book where you don't really know what to expect, but what happens is nothing that you expected. First of all, I didn't expect angels in it. And, despite my username, I'm not the biggest angel fan out there. In fact, I'm far from it. But this book had a creative, original twist that made up for the angels.

The romance, I thought, was a bit too quick. They meet and about a week later, they're saying 'I love you' to each other. Once I finished the book, it made more sense, but still.

The book was told in two different perspectives: one from Karou's and one from Akiva's POV. I'm not really an expert on male POV or anything, but it started to get really repetitive when he kept describing her 'aqua' or 'gemstone' or 'lapis' hair. Plus, I kinda doubt guys really think like that.

The ending was horrible. That last line was seriously "...to be continued." A little cliffhanger it okay, but this one wasn't little. Plus, it ended on a note that made Akiva look really bad. I want to know what Karou does to him. *evil grin* The next book'd better come out soon.

Other than that, this book was really good. My favorite character, I think, was Zuzana. She was really funny and added some spice to the story.

Highly recommended. :)


3 comments:

  1. I adore this book. <3 Best fantasy I read all year. Laini Taylor is a gorgeous writer with a huge imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lexi: Yeah :D

    Jami: It's worth the $19 I paid for it.

    ReplyDelete