Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Shatter Me


Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. 

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. 

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now. 

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior. 

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting asThe Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel. (from Goodreads)


So this isn't going to be an actual review. It's going to be mostly scrambled thoughts, because there were things I adored about this book, and yet there were things I couldn't stand. 

For one thing, at the end of the book, I felt that Juliette was getting a bit too Mary-Sueish. Not anything she did, really, but hearing about how pretty she was over and over again got kind of repetitive. We've already heard it enough - do we really have to hear any more about it?

 Beyond that, it was mostly Warner and Adam that annoyed me. Adam didn't really stand out in a good or bad way. He was just...there. But the ending left me with too many questions about him. They're probably going to be answered in the sequel, but I don't think that there should be that many questions about just one character. And then there was Warner. I actually liked him more than Adam, but, like with Adam, there were too many unanswered questions about him.

But on the flipside, I really liked the style this was written in. Short chapters, written almost like a journal - it was a great way to get into Juliette's thoughts. 

Juliette herself for the first 3/4 of the book wasn't bad, either. In fact, this book was shaping up to be one of my favorites. I liked how we could see her changes from an almost-insane person to a kickass girl. But then...

I can't exactly say what made this book fall flat for me, but there was definitely something. 

No rating. This book was too mixed-up for me. 

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Well, hm, it's also an interesting review, with the mixed feelings and all. I was actually really excited to read Shatter Me, and I still am, but you said that the MC was getting Mary-Sueish towards the end? Argh. Great...

    But on a brighter note, I've given you an award on my blog! The Versatile Blogger Award: http://writingella.blogspot.com/2012/02/im-just-tiny-bit-late-on-this-but.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. Also, another thing that really bugged me about the book was that the romance was too unrealistic. I mean, you're running for your lives and you still think about having sex?! (At the part where Adam and Juliette were at Adam's house.)

    I liked Mafi's way of describing things, though. It was very unique. :)

    ReplyDelete