Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Waterfall


What do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world? 

Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Betarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives among the romantic hills with their archaelogist parents. Stuck among the rubble of the medieval castles in rural Tuscany, on yet another hot, dusty archaeological site, Gabi and Lia are bored out of their minds...until Gabi places her hand atop a handprint in an ancient tomb and finds herself in fourteenth-century Italy. And worse yet, in the middle of a fierce battle between knights of two opposing forces. 

Suddenly Gabi's summer in Italy is much, much more interesting. (from Goodreads)


This book lived up to my expectations. It was a perfect afternoon read that I finished in a couple of hours. 

I liked the fact that Gabi, when she was in Italy, never lost sight of her one goal - to reunite with her sister. Even when Mr. Italian Hottie distracted her *coughcough* that was still her main goal. So I liked that part.

The historical part of this was also portrayed well. Even though it got a bit confusing at times - with questions on Italy's two political parties - there never was an info dump.

There were only two problems that I saw, and they were really minor ones. One, there was never a description of what Gabi herself looked like until the end. Two, Gabi just suddenly knew what year she traveled back to without asking anyone. I know she's an archaeologist's daughter, but that seemed to me a bit too excessive. 

But those were minor problems. 

My favorite character was probably Luca. He was just so real and non-cardboard, unlike Lady Rossi. She was a pretty standard, cliched character. 

I also really liked the time traveling aspect of this book. It's not something done well often in YA fiction today, and so that was a really nice aspect to this book. 


It was pretty good. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this book! I think my fav. character is Luca, too. ^_^ Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. He was great. :) Glad you enjoyed it, too!

    ReplyDelete